History

The history of the Indian Jute Mills Association goes back to the year 1884 when a few representatives of the majority of the Indian jute mills decided to form the Indian Jute Manufacturing Association. In July, 1902 the Association was named as the Indian Jute Mills Association. In 1931 the Indian Jute Mills Association was registered under the Indian Trade Union Act, 1926. Thereafter, the Association was incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956 on the 28th July, 1989.

During its long history of about 130 years the Association has set up the Indian Jute Mills Association Research Institute in August, 1943 as a Public Limited Company with liabilities of the members limited. Later in 1966 the Research Organization was renamed as the Indian Jute Industries Research Association. The Indian Jute Mills Association also purchased land for the Institute of Jute Technology and constructed the building and equipment for the Institute with furniture, fittings and machinery by raising the required funds as donation from Members of the Association. The Institute of Jute Technology started functioning from its premises in 1951 at Ballygunge Circular Road, Kolkata and supervisory positions in the jute mills were largely recruited from this Institute. With effect from 1st July, 2011 the Institute of Jute Technology has been converted into a Technology Department of the University of Calcutta and named as the Department of Jute and Fibre Technology, Institute of Jute Technology. In the past the Indian Jute Mills Association has regularly contributed to the funding of the research work being carried out at the Central School of Tropical Medicine, established the Gandhi Memorial Hospital at Kalyani, contributed generously in the setting up of some scholarships and various types of funds for the betterment of jute workmen and the society at large.

The Association is functioning since long from its premises in the 3rd floor of the Royal Exchange Building (Popularly known as Bengal Chamber of Commerce and Industry Building) at 6, Netaji Subhas Road, Kolkata – 700 001. Day to day of the work of Association broadly concerns liaison with Central and State Governments, provide service to members, promote trade and public relation, promote research, product development and foster goodwill and better understanding among all members engaged in the business and trade of jute and discourage and avoid unhealthy competition, restrictive trade practice in all matters relating to the business and trade of jute.

The Indian Jute Mills Association is recognized by all concerned as the apex organization representing the Indian jute industry. At present 34 composite jute mills are the members of the Association. All important data concerning the jute industry is maintained in the office of the Association and is available for use by its Members. The Association functions through its Committee which consists of not more than 14 members to be elected from among the Members of the Association.